Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Spreadsheets, making gold, and I need to remember to make notes



Over the last few weeks I've finally got my Death Knight, Drict before now Dignus to Llane so he can start using his jewel crafting powers to make me even more money, in he has done just that, also of course monitoring my spending a bit more so that I don't say make 4k today and spent 5k the same day..is probably a good idea, but its quite tempting to spend as much as possible to hopefully get the biggest return. But then that assumes I could actually sell all my auctions at any giving time which, just doesn't happen.

So the last few days I've been working on making my own spreadsheet for figuring out how to use my jewel crafting best, and got the idea from another spreadsheet that is already out there and possible a bit better then mine, but mine is still a work in progress.  I mostly did it just to see if I could get one that works and works reasonably well.  You can view mine here on google docs and theirs over at the consortium.

One of the reasons I wanted to create my own spreadsheet was to try and see if I could figure out a good way to get the price of enchanting mats, most cost after buying stacks of ore, how much one Greater Celestial Essence for instance worked out to.  Maybe someone will read this and let me know if I'm doing it wrong, but basically have it set to figure out what each gem, rare or not from that stack of ore.

So lets say I bought 10 stacks of Obsidian Ore at about 25g a stack, they aren't really ever that low on my server right now, but just a silly number to work with and say I bought 10 stacks totaling 2,500 in gold.  According to what i have those 10 stacks would turn into roughly 63 raw gems.  2,500 divided by 63 comes out to roughly 3.97g per gem.

Now I've entered what the current prices for the raw gems and it figures out which ones I'm going to be disenchanting and what I'm gonna try and sell raw cause the raw price is > then the enchanting mat price I would get.

To get my enchanting mat price it figures out how many gems total are used to make the crafted neck and rings to disenchant and comes out to an estimate of something like 49 gems to make 21 greater celestial and 101 hypnotic dust.  Some of those greater celestial essense started out as lesser's but I have it auto convert them right now cause they generally go for more as greater's.

So the total cost of the 49 gems times 3.97g per gem comes out to 194.44g in gold spent on just those gems. I then divide that by the number of greater celestial essence's which comes to 11s per greater celestial and 52s per hypnotic dust doing the same with those.  Now I no idea how accurate that is, but I'm still making gold so I don't know.

I could just try to divide it by the total spent, but that puts the hypnotic dust over the market value usually and since i'm not using all the results from prospecting for enchanting mats and investing them in other ways why would I decide the price on the total I spent?

Am I doing this wrong?

I also had a few macro's I was gonna post and I'm gonna do my best to recreate them without being in game, so if I get them a bit wrong..I'm sorry

Prospecting Macro

#showtoolip
/cast Prospecting
/use Pyrite Ore
/use Elementium Ore
/use Obsidian Ore

Disenchant Rings and neck pieces; Note, the first item number you might want to leave out if your enchanter can equip fist weapons, its Carnelian Spikes, my mage can't but when I'm hitting this macro I notice it keep telling me I can't equip first weapons so I don't know you might end up equiping one or not, but might just cause some hassle.

#showtooltip
/cast Disenchant
/use item:52492
/use item:52316
/use item:52314
/use item:52308
/use item:52307
/use item:52309
/use item:52306

Think I got all of them.

Other things I need to do with the spreadsheet is factor in using my blacksmith to make shoulders to DE or maybe using some rare gems to make the first weapons to DE into heavenly shards as heavenly shards are becoming scarce and the market price is going up.

oh and speaking of things going up, I dumped nearly 20k not long ago, not on anything to grand part of it was setting up a guild bank and I'm now just about 10k over what I lost so yay me, I got just shy of 40k last I knew.